We believe that a teacher must first connect with a student, discovering their learning style and gaining an understanding of their individual needs and feelings. Once this is established, a teacher is able to successfully share their knowledge and experience. At the end of a class, it is more important that students feel good about themselves than it is that they “got the step”; if “getting the step” caused excessive frustration or self-doubt. We take pride in our ability to offer every student a quality dance education in a positive environment that develops self-esteem and self-discipline.
DTS is proud to provide all students with a staff that is not only talented, experienced and knowledgeable, but also classroom friendly. By this, we mean that they fit our tight criteria of being able to encourage and train dancers to be the best they can be, but still keep in mind the most important aspect of the school . . .
Learning to dance should be fun!
At Dance Theatre South we recognize that few students may go on to pursue dance performance as a career. All young dancers, however, will gain many skills that they will carry with them throughout their lives. These skills include confidence, poise, working to reach their highest potential and understanding the importance of a healthy lifestyle. With this in mind, we believe that every student will leave our school a better, happier and healthier individual.
As a parent, you want to provide your child with a dance education that will enrich their lives in many ways:
- You want your child to develop coordination, grace and a healthy body.
- You want a program that will stimulate creativity and increase self-expression while developing self-discipline.
- You want your child to build self-esteem, confidence and a positive body image to help ease the growing process.
- You want a program that will stimulate a life-long appreciation of music and dance.
* AND . . . Most importantly, you want your child to have fun!Using our own syllabus along with LeapnLearn and ABC for dance, Dance Theatre South children’s division is especially designed for children ages 3 through second grade. Keeping in mind the developmental abilities of each age group, these classes emphasize basic dance skills, creative movement and classroom etiquette.
To ensure that every class is exciting and fun, we incorporate “prop dancing” into many of the activities. With the use of scarves, bean bags, rhythm instruments and many other props, students will learn the basic elements of dance movement: balance, body & spatial awareness, rhythm, coordination and quality of movement. In addition to these concepts, dancers will feel safe to explore their own creativity and self-expression in a class, limited in size,ensuring personal attention. Our goal for younger students is to teach them to love the art of dance. After gaining this love, and when they are more physically and mentally developed, they will embrace the challenge and self-discipline that comes with more advanced instruction.
Classes are Comprehensive and Effective
- A structured dance class with components of a regular ballet class combined with creative movement
- Provides a strong and smooth transition to regular ballet class at age 8
- Beneficial to child’s overall development
- Builds Discipline and self esteem in young dancers
Classes are Safe
- Age appropriate
- Minimal rotation used
- Teaches exercises to strengthen body & develop coordination
- Students develop skills that build
- Parents, Teachers and students can see the progress and skill development
Interesting and FUN!!
- Builds creativity and self-expression
- Children learn to dance with and move with emotion-not just “exercise”
- Addresses the many factors that make up dance; musical awareness, relating to space and others,movement concepts, pantomime, performing and more!
- Classes are full of life and excitement!
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR PRESCHOOL CLASSES HERE
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR COMBO CLASSES HERE
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR TECHNIQUE CLASSES HERE