We the dancers, faculty and staff of Dance Theatre South are a vibrant community of people who have a high regard for each other, the art of dance, and the respectability and value of the work we do. All who participate are requested to demonstrate the willingness to be held accountable to uphold the values and ethics we declare as the fundamental guidelines stated below. In all of our endeavors to study and perform as an expression of our love of dance, we show respect to the parents, our peers, the staff and faculty of Dance Theatre South and all of the wider dance community. We consider it a privilege to participate in a worldwide community for the performing art of dance exemplifying the values of integrity, character, leadership, responsibility and professionalism.
- INTEGRITY: To conduct oneself with honesty, courtesy, and respect. To express consideration for one’s fellow dancers, educators, parents, staff and competitors. To be a person who leads by example and honors commitments. To be a person other people can count on.
- LEADERSHIP: To guide, direct and influence people in achieving their highest goals and ideals. By setting an example through one’s actions and speech. To inspire and serve the people of your class, team, or community through full participation in all dance related activities.
- RESPONSIBILITY: To respect and adhere to the policies and procedures of the studio or the organizers of any conference, workshop, or competition. To be a person who interacts with peers and authority figures in a mature manner. To question authority in a respectful manner. To speak of any issue or grievance to the person who is able to resolve any concern. To be willing to receive coaching and direction when deemed appropriate.
- CHARACTER: To be a person who represents high levels of personal integrity, leadership, and responsibility for oneself and others. A person who has the courage and willingness to face issues and concerns with maturity and dignity. To avoid gossip, criticism, or denigrating comments for any member of the dance community, parent, or peers.
- PROFESSIONALISM: To respect the dance profession and uphold our values and standards of conduct. To support and encourage one another. To voice opinions and initiate change that will elevate the dance community. To recognize oneself as a role model at all times. To love the study and performance of dance as a universal art form.